HOW DO YOU PREPARE YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides these tips to help you and your family avoid contracting COVID-19:
Take everyday preventive actions to stay healthy.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Stay home when you are sick.
Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides these answers to common questions from the public:
What are the symptoms?
The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure: fever, cough and shortness of breath
Can somebody spread the virus without being sick?
People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest). Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
Is it possible to get COVID-19 from touching objects?
It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
- Harvesters - Find a pantry near you. www.harvesters.org/get-help
- SAFEHOME DV shelter. Safehome-ks.org. Their 24-hour hotline is 913-262-2868.
- YMCA is providing child care for children of essential employees. https://kansascityymca.org/programs/before-and-after-school/essential-care
- National Parent Helpline https://www.nationalparenthelpline.org/ 1-855-427-2736
- Suicide prevention https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Kansas City's Medicine Cabinet: Provides short-term emergency medical assistance for those in need in metropolitan Kansas City. https://kcmedicinecabinet.org/get-help/
Things to do at home
- Activities for Kids via Youtube. Cosmic Kids Yoga www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga | Art for Kids Hub www.youtube.com/user/ArtforKidsHub
- Simple Activities for Children and Adolescents worksheet
- United Way 2-1-1, www.unitedwaykc.org